Saturday, December 20, 2008

My very first piece - Walnut Blanket Chest

So, several years ago now, maybe around almost 5 years, I made my "first" piece of actual furniture. It was a Walnut and Cherry blanket chest. The design came from some plans online and overall it was very easy to make. I think I would like to make another one sometime. This piece I made as a wedding present for my sister-in-law and her husband.
From HopeChest


The design was really simple; the only thing it called for that I didn't like, and would not do again, is to run the dado for the rails and panels all the way through the leg, which meant you then had to make a small "plug" to glue into the legs. If I did this again, I would use a router bit on the table and just make a stopped dado, or use my mortising machine. The finish was simple as well, just wiped on a few coats of Danish oil, let it dry, and then used a satin wipe on polyurethane. Simple!
From HopeChest

No comments:

Post a Comment