Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Cherry baby crib

This project was one of the more challenging that I have done, mainly because of all of the pieces. I started with rough cherry stock and a hardware kit from Rockler. The first thing I did was to mill all the pieces; legs, rails, etc. Then I had to lay out the mortises; all 90 of them!! Here you can see all 32 of the smaller vertical slats.
From BabyCrib

One of the finer details of these is that they have a stopped round over on them to ease the edge so I created a simple start and stop block on the router table and did the whole batch.

Next, I had to lay out for the mortises. I combined the top and bottom boards and laid them out at the same time to eliminate any errors and causing them to be skewed during glue up.
From BabyCrib

Then I just took them all over to my Delta mortiser and went to town. I must say that this was a major time saver for this project; highly recommended.
From BabyCrib

This is a picture of one of the ends. The middle boards are book matched.
From BabyCrib

Here is the whole thing dry fit, without the sliding gate on it.
From BabyCrib

And finally, the finished product.
From BabyCrib

The finish on it was a wash coat of shellac followed by a coat of a red cherry gel stain that was put on and wiped off quickly; just adds a little color too it, turned out nice. And finally another top coat of shellac to seal it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment