Saturday, November 7, 2009

CA Finish for Pens - Part 2; An Observation

In one of my previous posts I commented on my success and failures of using a CA finish on some of my pens. I've been tinkering with it a bit more with some more success, but I've made a few observations about the success, or lack of success in some cases, I am having.

First, I've noticed that if you use more than, say, two coats of CA, the pen will have a plastic feel. This makes total sense because the CA is an acrylic of sorts so the more you add, the more "plastic" you get. The advantage to this is you get a rock hard finish that will last nearly forever.

Second, the wood makes a difference. I've tried using a few different types of woods; cherry, tiger maple, paduk and rosewood. For some reason, it seems to me that the harder woods such as cherry, paduk and rosewood seem to do better than a softer wood such as maple. I have had success with maple, but it just seems more finicky than the other woods.

Third, one thick coat goes a long way. How I have had good success is to use a good coat of BLO. I apply this by wet sanding with 1000 grit paper and wiping the access with a rag. Then, with the lathe off, I apply the CA to the pen while rotating the mandrel by hand and quickly rubbing back and forth. I go around, quickly, three or four times, then stop. Next, I let that sit for a while to harden and cure, then I come back and wet sand with BLO, but this time with 2000 grit paper. I then increase the speed and apply BLO to a rag and wipe the whole thing down and apply slight pressure to heat the BLO into the pen, if you will.

This method has given me the most success so far. The other thing I really like about it is you do get a good protective CA finish on the pen, but it does not feel like plastic and retains the warmth of the wood underneath. But, this is all one person's observations, I would love to hear your take and your method for finishing.

Be safe!

6 comments:

  1. Very cool idea! Thanks for posting this.
    Really its amazing information about Wood Pens
    Awesome job !!! well done keep it up.

    Wood Pens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you could check the collection on Promotional pens

    ReplyDelete
  3. i research this weblog, very amazing content and content..i like this web page.

    Wooden Pens - Wooden Concepts executes perfection & quality craftsmanship in custom wood pens, Toothpick Holders, unique handmade gifts & handcrafted wood products.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The composition must be conveniently and accurately done as such that the words are unmistakably neat. It must look gorgeously done to convey the proposed affect. MAGNETIC METAL FIDGET PEN

    ReplyDelete
  5. A majuscule website with engrossing and incomparable physical what else would you condition.
    ball pen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good day, it’s it will be absent from study even so any kind of, i have been previously surfing within your websites and seeks clearly in fact organized. I’m just building a unique web page and thus under pressure to get it look good, whenever my partner work on element my spouse and i screw it up. By what method really tough provides the actual to develop your site? May possibly some criminal much like me without any subsequent have achieve it, as well offer family renovation pages of content devoid of having destroying it again all the time? https://24hourwristbands.com/custom-pens

    ReplyDelete